Did you know? – There are 8 kinds of fever? With changes in weather and pollution – viral fevers are a big issue in urban India. But don’t worry, there isa cure for almost. Read on to find outthe simplest 7 Ayurvedic home cures for fever
- Rise with rice–Who knew rice could help to cure fever? Apart from being a part of our daily diet, rice can aid in getting rid of viral fever. All you have to do is prepare rice starch (some of us know it as “kanji”) by cooking rice and adding a cup of water. As the rice granules are semi-cooked, you must strain out the drink. Pour it in a glass along with a little salt and consume it when warm. This remedy is not only a natural nourishing drink but also a diuretic increasing urination and elimination of toxins along with boosting the immune system.
- Raising yourimmunity through Raisins – Raisins help the body fight infections and reduce fevers because of their antibacterial and antioxidant properties. Additionally, raisins act as a tonic for the body when battling a fever. Soak 25 raisins in half a cup of water for one hour, or until the raisins become soft.Crush the soaked raisins in the water and strain the liquid.Add the juice of half a lime to this solution. Have this twice a day until your fever is gone.
- The Basil-route –Basil is an effective herb for bringing down fever. This herb is just as effective as many types of antibiotics in the market. Boil together 20 basil leaves and add one teaspoon of crushed ginger in a cup of water to get a fine solution. Add some honey and drink this tea two to three times a day for three days.
- Consume some Fenugreek water–A bank of medicinal compounds such as alkaloids, saponins and other compounds are known to reduce viral infections have various important nutritional elements. Fenugreek is a widely available plant that can be used to this effect.Just soak in a spoon of the seeds in ½ a cup of water. Strain it out the next morning and sip this mixture at regular intervals. For some instant relief, you can consume the seeds with lemon and honey too.
- For those who love tea –Coriander seeds contain vitamins and phytonutrients which help boost your immune system. In addition to this, the presence of antibiotic compounds and potent volatile oils, coriander act as an effective natural aid to combat a viral infection. Coriander tea, just like regular tea, is made by adding a spoon of its seeds to water. Boil this mixture and strain. Add some milk and sugar for taste. This tea will relieve you from symptoms of viral fever.
- Garlic under your feet–What? What does this mean? Yes, it means exactly what it sounds, since Garlic has heating properties, which can induce sweating to lower high fever and remove toxins from the body.Mix two crushed garlic cloves with olive oil and apply this mixture (warmed) under the sole of each foot, leaving a few spots blank. Tie up your feet with gauze, so that the mixture is intact. There have been cases of complete elimination of the fever in just 1 night by this method. Note:Garlic remedies are not recommended for pregnant ladies and small children.
- Cure it the yoga way –Matsyasana or the fish pose helps extend the chest and lungs giving you an increased breathing capacity. It also helps you beat body ache and fatigue associated with fever.
- Keep your feet on the floor and lie down with bent knees.
- Get your legs straight and arms on each side.
- Place each hand under a hip and raise the hips.
- Now slowly push your upper body upwards while bending your elbows. Tilt your head backwards and exhale.
- Count till 5 and inhale as you get back in the initial position.
Beat the bug with these home remedies if you do end up catching it! To boost your immunity and prevent the bug from getting near you try HERBOfit – our very own immunity and energy booster chyawanprash in the form of multivitamin capsules.
Authored by: Dr. (Mrs.) Surya Bhagwati (BAMS, DHA, DHHCM, and DHBTC), 25+ years experience in Ayurveda